8D Team Problem Solving Training class
Available only as an onsite training class...for your team
8D is a problem-solving methodology for product and process improvement. It is structured into eight disciplines with an emphasis on teamwork. Successful, knowledgeable, and trained teams functions better as a 'team' than the sum of the individuals that make up the team.
Each of the eight disciplines is supported by a checklist of assessment questions, such as, “what, when, where, how much”, “what is wrong with what”, etc. The answers to the questions lead to the next step of the discipline and lead to a team oriented approach to successful solutions.
The Eight Disciplines are:
1. Use Team Approach - Establish a small group of people with the knowledge, time, authority and skill to solve the problem and implement corrective actions. The group must select a team leader.
2. Describe the Problem - Describe the problem in measurable terms. Specify the internal or external customer problem by describing it in specific terms.
3. Implement and Verify Short-Term Corrective Actions - Define and implement those intermediate actions that will protect the customer from the problem until permanent corrective action is implemented. Verify with data the effectiveness of these actions.
4. Define end Verify Root Causes -Identify all potential causes which could explain why the problem occurred. Test each potential cause against the problem description and data. Identify alternative corrective actions to eliminate root cause.
5. Verify Corrective Actions- Confirm that the selected corrective actions will resolve the problem for the customer and will not cause undesirable side effects. Define other actions, if necessary, based on potential severity of problem.
6. Implement Permanent Corrective Actions - Define and implement the permanent corrective actions needed. Choose on-going controls to insure the root cause is eliminated. Once in production, monitor the long-term effects and implement additional controls as necessary.
7. Prevent Recurrence - Modify specifications, update training, review work flow, improve practices and procedures to prevent recurrence of this and all similar problems.
8. Congratulate Your Team - Recognize the collective efforts of your team. Publicize your achievement. Share your knowledge and learning.
Students will work through each discipline using a case study that the instructor has helped select from within your facility (one that might reasonably serve as an example for the class and for your team). At the conclusion of the session, students will have worked through each discipline of the 8D model and will leave with the skills and knowledge to serve as a member on problem solving committees at your organization.
Useful post course handouts and worksheets will serve as vital aids to students working problems as teams in the future.
Students will touch on and learn to use these Quality Tools during this 8-hour session:
- 5 Y's
- Cause and Effect
- Pareto Analysis
- Affinity Diagrams
- Scatter Diagrams
- Using a decision matrix
- Force Field Analysis
- 8D Balance Sheet